It is difficult to imagine a garden without currant bushes. Currant is a healthy berry, which contains a large amount of beneficial vitamins and trace elements.
There are several types of currant, which differs in color, ripening terms.
In the summer to collect a healthy crop of currants, for shrubs need care in the spring, and especially after harvest.
What should be the right care in August and September after harvesting berries
Currant care should be permanent. But the main period of leaving is the time after harvest.
After the harvest, the plant begins to actively give strength to the root system, foliage and new shoots. The period of active growth begins around the end of summer, in August, but it depends on the plant variety.
Care is to conduct such activities:
- Pruning old shoots will strengthen the strong branches, which will appear berries in the next season.
- Loosening the soil.
- Autumn feeding.
- Fight and preventive measures against pests.
- Preparation of a currant bush for wintering.
Consider each method separately.
Pruning red, white and black currants: how and what to trim
The procedure is performed in several stages:
- First stage - this is sanitary pruning, all sick, damaged shoots are removed, as well as branches, which shade and thicken the bush.
- Second phase - this is the formation of the shape and number of shoots of different ages, which will allow the plant to fully bear fruit.
The main part of the fruiting are shoots. The crop is formed along the entire length of the annual and biennial branches. The fruitful part die off several years after the harvest. therefore branches older than three years it makes no sense to leave.
Because of this, currants are not recommended to grow in the form of a cordon. The bush must have a minimum of 15 healthy shoots, which must be one-year, two-year and zero.
Cut the following is necessary:
- The shoots are older than 3 years, which do not increase growth by at least 20 cm per season.
- Cut old branches. This will help awaken the underground buds and begin to grow zero shoots.
- Annual branches that prevent the full development of strong shoots.
- Remove from the bush damaged branches and pests.
Cut branches better burn. Carry out the procedure in late autumn or early spring. Old shoots can be cut after harvest so that the plant does not give them strength.
Pruning must be done every year.. Cuts should process garden pitch. After the procedure, perform intensive plant nutrition.
How to care and cultivate the soil around the bush in the fall
Care in the fall, in September, should be not only for the plant, but also for the soil. The care activities include digging pristvolnyh circles around the bush.
They dig up the earth or loosen it carefully, stepping away from the center of the bush for about 1 m. After digging up, watered the soil and mulch it with dry earth to 10 cm.
Mulching helps to preserve the root neck from early frosts and will help retain moisture.
Features of autumn and spring feeding: what fertilizers to make and in what time?
Fertilize currant bush simultaneously with digging. Only potassium phosphate fertilizers are used for this. Organic use only in spring.
After completion of the fruiting currant begins to lay buds for the next season. Therefore, this period is considered the most important in the care and nutrition of the bushes.
The land is depleted by the end of summer, so your task will be feed the bush with nutrients. If you do not, then next year you can not count on a rich harvest.Potash phosphate fertilizers are applied under the currant bush in autumn, organic is used only in spring
What can be fed? It is allowed to make mineral and organic fertilizers. He remembers that phosphate and potash components should be included in the fertilizer.
It is recommended to use these types of dressing:
- Mix in a bucket of water and 1 tbsp. l superphosphate and potassium sulfate.
- In a bucket of water dissolve 1 tbsp. l urea and superphosphate, add 1 cup of wood ash.
- With a strong depletion of the bush is better to use mineral fertilizer.
- As for organic fertilizers, bird droppings and mullein can be used. Chicken litter diluted in a ratio of 1:12, insist 2 weeks. For watering, use 0.5 liters of infusion per bucket of water. Korovyak diluted in a ratio of 1: 1, insist 1 week.
- Also, as a top dressing, you can use potato peelings, which are simply buried in the soil around the perimeter of the bush.
Top dressing currant after harvesting, treatment from pests:
Pest and disease control: what kind of treatment can be done in spring and in autumn?
Pest control is a must.which should be carried out both in early spring and autumn. Bordeaux liquid, karbofosi and other drugs are mainly used.
If you find a pest infection, fight it immediately.
After ripening and harvesting, dried branches and leaves can be seen. These are signs of infection by the glass..
It is recommended to immediately remove infected branches so that the pest does not reach the base of the bush. Suitable for the treatment of such drugs: Lepidocide, Karbofoks, Fitoverm.
Ticks found - immediately treat the bush with special preparations. Neoron, Fitover, Kinmiks, Kleschevit, Karbofos will do.
From gall midges use Neoron, Aliot, Kinmiks, Lepidotsid.For the prevention of diseases and pests, you can spray currants with 1% Bordeaux mixture
Good watering - for fruiting in the summer
Like all trees, after harvesting, they begin to stock up with moisture and nutrients for the winter to winter. Currant bush is no exception.
Watering should be plentiful. It must be carried out before the onset of cold weather.
That the bush had time to prepare for winter, remove from the branches all the foliage that pulls from the shoots food and moisture.
How to feed and whether to fertilize in the fall
It is necessary to feed the bush in autumn. Currant pulls from the soil a large amount of potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, so the lack of these elements will lead to minimal fruiting next year.
It is recommended to fertilize the soil according to the following scheme:
- Before applying the fertilizer need to clean the soil around the shrub from the leaves. Hot leaves can be a hotbed of various diseases that will begin to develop in the spring.
- The soil must be decontaminated. For the procedure suitable potassium permanganate, blue vitriol, a solution of laundry soap.
- It is recommended to use phosphorus-potassium fertilizers. They provide the basis for laying buds for future harvest, and stimulate the active growth of the bush.
Preparing for the winter
Winter is a special time for the garden. During this period, most shrubs just freeze from the cold, which is a big deal for gardeners. To avoid this, trees and bushes need to be prepared for the winter period.
To currant bush wintered and pleased with a rich harvest, the following activities are required:
- In the autumn, take preventive measures against fungal diseases and pests. The soil around the shrub should be cleared of weeds, fallen leaves. Feed the bush with fertilizer.
- Preparation begins with trimming.. Remove all diseased, dry and old branches. Better to do it in the fall. Since in the spring due to the fact that the plant quickly enters the stage of growth, it is possible to damage the kidneys, which will lead to a decrease in yield.
- Feed the bush after pruning, the soil around the currant is digging and mulching. For this you can use sawdust, newspapers, hay.
- At the first frost bush can wrap. To do this, you need a twine, which tightened the branches top, spirally. The branches in this form will not rub against the wind, and will retain the maximum number of fruit buds.
- When the snow falls, tighten it around the base of the bush, and then pour the currants completely.
- If twine are afraid to damage the branches, then use another way to cover the plant. Lay the branches as close to the ground as possible.. Cover with slate on top. Due to this, the shoots will be protected from the effects of wind and frost.
- It is desirable to wrap young plants according to the principle of grapes and dripping ground.
Cooking berry bushes for winter:
Remember that the proper preparation for the winter will save the currant bush from freezing. It happens that after removing the winter shelter, the frosts return, cover the plant with straw, old blankets to preserve the harvest.
Care for currants after harvest provides a large number of activitieswhich are recommended to be observed for receiving a harvest.
Watch the plant, spend time processing from pests. After all, the harvest depends on your timely care.