Many people dream of starting their own business, but often the choice of a field of activity is an acute problem. The business of growing and selling nuts can be quite profitable, the main thing is to find out all the nuances of such a business.
The advantages and disadvantages of a walnut garden
- Small start-up capital, the main costs are that it will be necessary to purchase a plot, seedlings and special equipment;
- Walnut trees are unpretentious, can produce good yields and begin to bear fruit within 5-7 years after planting;
- Also, these trees are not whimsical to weather conditions and can produce crops for over 100 years or more;
- Nuts are easy to store, it’s enough to find a dry room with low temperatures and good ventilation;
- Low business competition. Not many entrepreneurs are engaged in the cultivation of nuts, in contrast to the restaurant or hotel business;
- Nuts can be easily sold, because they are in great demand not only in Russia, but also in foreign countries.
- You can not open a business without start-up capital, although small, but investments will still be required;
- Trees begin to bear fruit in full force only after 10 years, so many are afraid of a long payback period;
- In addition to the site will require the presence of special equipment, you will most likely have to rent a warehouse for storage.
What is the legal form of opening a walnut business?
Any business aimed at generating income will be illegal without going through the state registration procedure. Growing nuts refers to agricultural activities, and the choice of OPF depends on the amount of land:
- if a plot with an area of less than one hectare is owned, it is possible to organize a personal part-time farm (LPH);
- if the size of the occupied area is more than 1 hectare, you can form a peasant farm (KFH) or become an individual entrepreneur (IP).
Regardless of the form of ownership, it will be necessary to pay income tax on profits. Given the nature of the field of activity, the size of payments will be only 6 percent.
- for peasant farms, a single agricultural tax;
- simplified taxation scheme for legal entities, including for individual entrepreneurs.
Where do you start to do a nut business
First, you need to prepare all the necessary equipment and materials.
Plot: how many trees to plant?
The soil must be sod, loamy or sandy loam. If the land does not meet these requirements, then it will have to prepare. Also, the walnut trees calmly tolerate the conditions of the central region of Russia, but it will be simply meaningless to grow them in Siberia. Plants love sunlight, warmth and wet soil.
To simplify the care of such a huge farm, you can spend a special drainage system. The principle of operation is that special ditches are held throughout the site for carrying out moisture. At the same time, an area of 1.5 square meters around the tree is fenced with earthen rollers and saturated with moisture either automatically or manually.
As is known, to obtain a crop from any crop it is necessary to provide it with a sufficient amount of fertilizer.
In comparison with the living labor force, it will be much more profitable to purchase a special machine that collects nuts. First, it shakes the trunk of a tree, and then collects them just as a vacuum cleaner sucks in dust.
Also, after receiving the first harvest, it will need to be transported on something, and everyone decides on his own whether to buy him a truck or hire him.
Nuts without shell are more expensiverather than in the shell, so many entrepreneurs buy cars that clean nuts.Pine nuts processing line
After receiving the first large crop, it will need to be stored somewhere, for this, either they rent it, or they buy a special dry and cool room.
Choosing seedlings need to pay attention to the following characteristics:
- it is better to choose frost resistance varieties that will be adapted to the conditions of central Russia;
- it is preferable to choose varieties with a shell of medium thickness, so that it does not occupy most of the nut and at the same time protect the kernel from birds;
- It is necessary to select varieties according to the growth rate, in some varieties nuts appear for 3 years, and in others in the seventh.
After all the preparations are completed, you can start planting the crop and for several years to produce high-quality care, which will be the key to high yield. When they receive their first fruits, they begin to sell and receive long-awaited profits.
Ways to get a nut
There are several ways to get nuts for sale:
- If you plant a walnut orchard, the first crop can be obtained only after 3-7 years, Many people are afraid of such a prospect, but it is worth considering that this method will be the most reliable. Walnut is best suited for growing, because it tolerates the weather conditions of central Russia well and produces abundant crops.
- You can also buy up nuts in villages and other settlements where people donate unpeeled and dry kernels for low cost. Usually, for a pittance they give collected wild-growing nuts. If you produce stingy in the territory of Siberia, you can buy raw cedar cones, in the south they often sell hazelnuts. In addition to the collected nuts, many people who grow one or several walnut trees also give cheaply the fruits that they most likely simply will not eat.
- Another method is the collection and sale of wild nuts, as mentioned earlier, depending on the area it can be pine nuts or hazelnuts.
The demand for nuts for business
If you plant a walnut orchard, then the most profitable and profitable product for the central zone of Russia will be a walnut, which is distinguished by unpretentiousness and good yield.
You can also collect wild nuts or outbid them.
How to collect nuts for sale
Nut harvesting usually begins in July and ends in September. For sale, it is best to collect nuts in places with the greatest number of trees in order to get as many kernels as possible at a time; moving from place to place will be simply unprofitable.
Hazelnuts can be found in the forests of the Kuban or Crimea, and cedar is very often found in the Siberian forests. At first the trees are shaking, then they collect the fallen nuts, dry them and clean them.
Nuts are a very popular product and there should be no problems with their sale. The main thing is to find regular purchasers who will buy grown nuts annually.
- Nuts are an integral part of many desserts, so they can be sold at the confectionery industry;
- You can also try to sell goods to various stores. Moreover, nuts can be taken in large hypermarkets and retail chains, as well as in small shops or market stalls;
- Since the nuts are imported to foreign countries, one of the methods of marketing can be the conclusion of a contract with the points of reception and transportation of goods;
- In order to attract new customers, various advertisements will be effective, which can be printed in newspapers, launched on radio and television, or placed in public places.
Business plan for growing walnuts
Naturally, in order to understand whether a business will flourish, it is necessary to draw up a business plan, calculate all the risks and understand how many hectares of land you will need to buy in order to plant walnut trees.
Walnut Business Description
- planting a walnut orchard with a total area of 1 hectare;
- pre-sale preparation of goods, that is, cleaning, calibration and packaging.
- The success of a business is described by the following criteria:
- huge sales market and high demand for goods;
- profit can be obtained for 100-120 years;
- nuts are easily stored and tolerate transportation.
Product and yield
- pre-packaged peeled or unpeeled walnuts for domestic sale;
- Vacuum-packed walnut kernels can be sent for sale abroad.
Market and competition
Based on statistical data, there is a huge shortage of walnut on the world market, so its sale should not become a problem.
A business may not generate income for the following reasons:
- conditional risks include global climate change and weather conditions;
- the human factor relies on the possibility of vandalism or theft;
- activities of walnut pests.
To find out the future profit from the walnut business, you must first calculate the costs. The initial capital will be equal to:
- Drafting plantings - 100 thousand rubles;
- Work on the preparation of the land - 40 thousand rubles;
- Preparation of landing holes - 35 thousand rubles;
- Buying 200 seedlings of about 500 rubles each - 100 thousand rubles;
- Transportation of planting material - 5 thousand rubles;
- Planting in open ground - 35 thousand rubles;
- Buying 20 kilograms of fertilizers - 10-15 thousand rubles;
- To care for the garden you need to hire at least 4 people, and since work is considered seasonal, they will receive wages for 7 months of work - 70 thousand rubles are neededbut multiply by 2;
- Garden vacuum for harvesting - 70,000 rubles;
- Machine for cleaning nuts - 100 thousand rubles;
- Drainage system - 170 thousand rubles;
- In the absence of land, its price will be equal to 200 thousand rubles.
Total: if there is a plot, the initial costs will be 810 thousand rubles, but if it is not there, then you will have to pay 1 million 10 thousand rubles.
Then every year there will be the following costs:
- Preparation and cleaning of the soil - 100 thousand rubles;
- Water consumption for irrigation - 150 thousand rubles;
- Fertilizers - 15 thousand rubles;
- Security - 170 thousand rubles;
- Salary of workers - 140 thousand rubles;
- As soon as the first nuts appear, you can rent a warehouse (20 thousand per month) and hire a car for transportation (20 thousand, including several trips).
Total: before receiving the first harvest of 575 thousand per year, then to rent a warehouse (for 2 months, no longer needed, the nuts will be sold for sure) will take 40 thousand and 20 thousand to travel, that is, starting from the 5th year, the costs will be 635 thousand rubles.
On average, the first harvest of nuts can be obtained for 5 years after planting, for all this time, 3 million 100 thousand rubles will be spent, taking into account its own plot, without a plot of 3 million 300 thousand rubles.
Initially, one walnut tree gives 10 kilograms of harvest, but after 5 years of fruiting, this figure increases to 45 kilograms. One kilogram of peeled walnut costs 300 rubles, and half of the total harvest will be half a shell. Thus, the tab of the walnut garden is as follows:
|5 year||10 * 200 = 2000 kilogram|
1000 * 300 = 300 000 rubles
|6 year||15 * 200 = 3000 kilogram|
1500 * 300 = 450 000 rubles
|7 year||25 * 200 = 5000 kilogram|
2500 * 300 = 750 000 rubles
|8 year||35 * 200 = 7000 kilogram|
3500 * 300 = 1,050,000 rubles
|Year 9 and subsequent years||45 * 200 = 9000 kilogram|
4500 * 300 = 1 350 000 rubles
It can be concluded that the business will fully pay for itself 5 years after the start of fruiting, but in the future it will bring in an annual stable income of 700-800 thousand rubles for 100 years. Moreover, this type of activity is considered passive and does not require updating and introducing innovations.