One-year head of the plant Romen with crispy leaves, is considered the most popular salad. Without juicy leaves with a loose structure, it is impossible to cook everyone’s favorite Caesar. You can grow it at home. If the leaves are stored properly, they retain their amazing taste for a long time and will look appetizing.
Composition and nutritional value of romaine lettuce
Greens are different from other varieties. juicy, elastic leaves. If the culture is grown in the right conditions, it is uniform. There should be no mechanical damage and yellowish spots.
Due to its low calorie content, Romain is very popular among people who count calories. 100 gr. greenery contained 17 kcal.
Proteins, fats and carbohydrates are arranged in this order:
- proteins, g: 1.8
- carbohydrate, g: 2.7
- fats, g: 1.1
The chemical composition of Romain is rich in minerals, vitamins and essential trace elements for the body. The value of the plant is as follows:
- vitamins A, B4, B9, C, K
- amino acids
- beta carotene
The average weight of the mature beam is 300 gr. Foliage loose not adjacent to each other. Due to the fact that dishes based on Romen are seasoned: honey, sunflower (olive) oil, lemon juice, yogurt, the benefits of such nutrition are very high.
You should not chop bundles with a knife - this affects the taste and healthy qualities. Green salad taken tear hands. Ready meals to use, quickly, for a long time it is better not to store.
History of origin
The plant is of Italian origin. Salad for more than 5,000 years, initially the leaves were used for medicinal purposes. For the first time a vegetable was discovered in ancient Rome, hence the name Romen.In ancient times, fleshy leaves treated diseases.
The fleshy leaves of a rich green hue, used to cure many diseases. Later it began to be widely used in cooking. Today Romain - demanded edible greens with a healthy diet. From it they prepare the most exquisite restaurant dishes, snacks.
Useful properties of romen
Useful components make these herbs an indispensable product for the human body.
- Due to its potassium content, it is valued at various diets. The component regulates the water balance in the human body, fights puffiness.
- Edible greens have a good effect on work. cardiovascular and digestive system.
- If the leaves are often eaten, the pressure normalizes. Greenery helps lower blood pressure.
- Carotene levels hemoglobinis indicated for exhaustion of the body, anemia.
- After regular use, the factor of elimination of harmful cholesterol, salts is noted.
- It is responsible for metabolic processes, as well as adrenal function.
Low-calorie vegetable, recommended in large quantities with dietary nutrition. Salad leaves are used when “unloading” days you can get rid of extra pounds, get healthier. Under the influence of the components contained inside, the body splits the fat in the body.Romain is added to salads and various dishes. The taste has a nutty flavor.
You can add it to salads and a variety of dishes. Cook smoothies, vegetable soups or just decorate dishes. Smooth bundles very nice and appetizing. The leaves crunch nicely. The taste is nut-spicy. The structure is juicy. The salad looks friable; the culinary specialists use exclusively young leaves.
Harm from use
Restrictions on the use not identified. If there is an individual intolerance of the leaves in the food is better not to use.
Supermarkets most often sell leaves in pots, in this form the salad is stored for a long time. up to 3 weeks.
If you store it in the refrigerator, it is better to sprinkle with water slightly, wrap with a napkin. For storage use the bottom shelf of the refrigerator. Ensure that the leaves do not rot. Shelf life inside the refrigerator 3-5 days.When buying plants in a pot, you can store it for up to 3 weeks
Some hostesses greens frozen, using for the subsequent preparation of soups, cocktails. Frozen whole bunches or crushed hands. When frozen, the salad loses its appeal. However, when defrosting, taste remains. You can freeze in ice tins pre-fill the green with water.
Growing roman lettuce at home on the balcony
Demanding vegetables very difficult to grow on the balcony or at home. Due to the fact that the root system of lettuce is located in the upper soil layer is difficult to ensure proper care. If you still manage to grow it, due to some factors, the leaves acquire a bitter taste.
- Romain Rodriguez
- Romain Dandy Seeds
- Sow seeds on trays with biogrunt. It is necessary to provide a sunny, ventilated place on the windowsill.
- It is not necessary to sow deeply deeply, it is enough 1-1.5 cm to pour plentifully with a film or glass to cover the tray - this will ensure the greenhouse effect.
- Water as the soil dries out, before the emergence of strong shoots spray.
- When the sprouts give good shoots to water at the root, periodically spray.
- Cut bushes from the spine can give shoots. Some, buying a salad in pots, planted roots for growing on the windowsill.
- If available greenhouse, it can provide conditions comfortable for vegetables.
- Seeds can be bought at specialty stores. Do not forget to pay attention to the shelf life of seeds.
Romain must be present on the table of everyone who cares about their health. The advantages of vegetable culture - long shelf life outside the refrigerator. The delicious salad will allow you to experiment while preparing healthy dishes in the kitchen. You should know that long-term storage destroys vitamin C, so many grow it at home.